Wednesday, March 20, 2013

March 19th: Rattletrap Car

 
This week, we read Rattletrap Car, written by Phyllis Root and illustrated by Jill Barton. This book was full of onomatopoeias and the kids had fun saying each of them. I first asked them if they had ever heard of an onomatopoeia and gave some examples of some. I wrote a list of onomatopoeias on the board and they read them aloud. I asked them if they could think of any other examples of onomatopoeias.

After we read the book, I passed out slips of paper to each kid. Each slip of paper had an onomatopoeia from the book. We all lined up in order of when they were said to create our own rattletrap car. Each kid said their onomatopoeia aloud and we sounded like the Rattletrap Car in the book!
This is a list of all the onomatopoeias in Rattletrap Car

Then, we had our discussion questions. I asked them what family vacations they had been on and if they had fun. We talked about cars we had been in that didn't run so well. I asked them how they keep cool in the summer time. They said they swim, run in the sprinklers, and dump buckets of water on their heads!
 
For our snack, we made fudge marshmallow delight from the book! Using graham crackers, Nutella spread, and marshmallows, each kid made their own tasty treat. After they finished their snacks, we played some fun games - Duck, Duck Goose, Simon Says, and Honey, do you love me? When we played Duck, Duck Goose, I told them they had to "quack" as they ran around to use onomatopoeias.
 






No comments:

Post a Comment